ANZAC Day Dawn Service 2020
from $ 155* per person
On April 25th, 1915, Allied troops landed on the Gallipoli Peninsula. The military campaign that followed was disastrous for the Allies yet came to define the national psyches of Australia and New Zealand. Travel to these solemn battlefields on the anniversary of the landing and wander through Anzac Cove to the Nek and Lone Pine. Walk through the trenches, attend a moving dawn service and hear the stories of heroism and camaraderie immortalised in Australia's Anzac history. This journey provides a great opportunity to pay respect to the fallen of World War I and to reflect on what they fought for.
Travel Dates: From 24/04/2021 to 25/04/2021
Duration: 2 days
Departing From: Istanbul
- Pay your respects to the fallen at Gallipoli a moving and educational experience regardless of your age or background
Reflect and pay your respects at Lone Pine and Chunk Bair
Breakfasts Included: 1
Dinners Included: 1
No Accommodation - Event Tour
Age: min 5
Group Size: 1 - 99
Hosgeldiniz. Welcome to Turkey! Please refer to the meeting point in the Essential Trip Information (that's this document) for the important meeting place for this tour. Meeting time will be 11.00am Our journey time is 6 hours with a comfort stop midway. Arriving on the Gallipoli Peninsular we stop to explore the town of Eceabat and enjoy a BBQ dinner before we make our way to the Anzac Commemorative site. Please be ready for long delays upon entry as all visitors will be security screened. For any Australian or New Zealander visiting the Shores of Turkey, a visit to the battle fields of the Gallipoli Peninsula is a must. The battle at Gallipoli in WW1 is seen as a turning point in both of these nations (and also the Republic of Turkey). It was the moment when our character was defined and the core value of mateship was embedded in our psyche. The names of ANZAC Cove, the Nek and Lone Pine have a special place in the hearts of Antipodeans and are just some of the places you can visit first hand on this trip. You will be struck by the beauty and serenity of the place, in stark contrast to the stories your guide will tell you of the events that unfolded here. We stay overnight in the ceremonial area near to ANZAC Cove. The night can be very very cold. It is imperative for your comfort that you bring a sleeping bag for the night. It is not possible to sleep during the night as due to the crowds that visit each year and the seating arrangements, it is all but impossible to lie down. We recommend to make the most of the experience that you come well rested before the night. This is a sombre affair and no alcohol is allowed at the event. Other refreshments and toilet facilities are provided on the site for a reasonable price. This is the true Antipodean pilgrimage and something every Australian and New Zealander should experience at some point in their lives. It is an event that will both humble and inspire you. As an Australian company, Intrepid is proud to be able to offer this experience to our customers.
After the main ceremony and rendition of the last post all visitors are required to move to the Lone Pine site and the Chunk Bair site for the Australian memorial service and the New Zealand memorial service. Visitors must select just one service to attend. Please refer to the official programme for service times. There is a lot of walking between sites (up to 8kms) and a lot of this is up hill please advise your Tour Leader if your require assistance or register for a mobility pass with the Department of Veterans Affairs. There are opportunities to visit other cemeteries and trenches during the walk. Later in the day we re-board our bus to transfer back to Istanbul of which we will aim to arrive around 8.00PM. Patience is required for departure from the peninsula as we must wait for our bus in a respective order which is allocated by the authorities, the process can be a little slow. We recommend you arrange an additional night's accommodation for the evening of day 2, or plan any departure from Istanbul for the late evening. Extra accommodation pre and post tour can be requested, please ask your agent at time of booking.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 05 June 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..