Country Roads of Northern Italy - Summer 2020
Fall in love with Shakespeare's Verona, experience the elegance of Venice and wonder at the breathtaking beauty of the Dolomites and Italian Lake District before finishing your journey in the majesty of Milan.
Travel Dates: From 09/10/2020 to 18/10/2020
Duration: 10 days
Company: INSIGHT VACATIONS
Call 133 133 and
quote deal number 6810034
- Included Insight Services
Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas
Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom
Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary
We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door
Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency
- We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels
Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available)
From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination
If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times
- If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport
Welcome to Italy.
After a warm welcome at Milan’s Malpensa Airport, transfers depart for your hotel at 09:30 and 12:30. Meet your Travel Director at 15:30 and join a Local Expert in the heart of Italy’s renowned fashion capital to see the impressive facade of the cathedral and the world famous La Scala Theatre. Linking the two is the elegant glass vaulted shopping arcade of Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, lined with luxury boutiques. Mingle and get to know your fellow travellers during your Welcome Dinner at a local restaurant.(Dinner with Wine)
Fair Verona and Trento.
Cross the fertile plains of Lombardy to fair Verona, the home of Shakespeare’s star-crossed lovers Romeo and Juliet, with its maze of elegant squares and well-preserved Roman Arena, which is still used for Opera performances. Join a Local Expert to explore the Piazza delle Erbe or Square of Herbs, a lively market square surrounded by beautiful buildings. View the frescoed Casa Mazzanti and lofty Lamberti Tower and continue to the Piazza dei Signori, the civic and political heart of the city, graced by a statue of Dante and see the Gothic tombs of the Scala family beyond. Continue on to Trento, regarded as one of Italy's most appealing cities to live in.(Breakfast)
Climb up to Cortina d’Ampezzo.
Follow the Adige River north, into the magnificent mountains and the distinctive limestone peaks of the Dolomites. Arrive at the town of Bolzano, where Italy and Austria culturally collide and you are at leisure to explore the the arcaded streets and squares. Continue along the zig-zagging scenic route to Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy’s most exclusive ski resort and a beautiful alpine haven during summer.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
The Dolomites at Leisure.
Enjoy a day at your leisure in this fashionable playground of the rich and famous, surrounded by towering cathedrals of rock. Take in the fresh mountain air as you stroll the pedestrianised Corso Italia, lined with designer stores and backed by the impressive green and white bell tower of the parish church. Why not ascend to the summit of one of the nearby peaks by cable car for magnificent panoramic views of the Dolomites?(Breakfast)
Through Prosecco Country to Venice.
Travel down through more majestic Dolomite scenery to one of the world’s most breathtaking wine regions. Protected by the Alps to the north, and caressed by the warm breezes from the Adriatic, the vineyards around Conegliano Veneto produce Italy’s most prized sparkling wine. Stop at Carmina where meticulous viticulture and manual harvesting produce distinguished proseccos. See how production differs from its more famous French counterpart, Champagne. Be tempted with a taste of the crisp and aromatic flavours and learn how to make the perfect Bellini. Continue on to the unique and remarkable island city of Venice, Queen of the Adriatic and check into your hotel.(Breakfast)
The Magic of La Serenissima.
Visit an arts centre on Giudecca Island to witness the age-old skill of glassblowing. Then, travel along the scenic canals, lined with ornate palaces - memories of a bygone golden. Alight by the Bridge of Sighs, named in the last century by Lord Byron. Turn the corner into St. Mark's Square, dominated by its magnificently decorated Byzantine basilica, and overlooked by the great clock tower where bronze Moors figurines beat out the hours on a huge bell. No visit to Venice would be complete without a ride on a gondola; delight in being serenaded as you journey through the romantic canals. The rest of the day is at your leisure and there is free time to shop or perhaps cruise out into the Lagoon to try local fish and wine specialties?(Breakfast)
Sirmione and Como.
Bid farewell to this enchanting city and continue past the university town of Padua to the peaceful shores of Lake Garda, the largest of Italy's lakes. Near the tip of a narrow peninsula, jutting out into the lake, visit the charming resort of Sirmione, clustered around the 13th century Scaligero’s Castle. Follow the southern fringes of the Alps to reach the spectacular Italian Lake District and your hotel on the shores of Lake Como where you will enjoy views on the lake from your room. Later, you have a choice of cuisine and ambience from a hand-picked selection of local restaurants for your Dine-Around Evening.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Como at Leisure and Lake Maggiore.
Enjoy a relaxed morning in Como, the playground of Europe's wealthiest people. Nestled in the foothills of the Alps, the lake plays host to the most glamorous social sets and is a great place to people watch. Head on to Lake Maggiore's Baveno, noted for its narrow cobbled streets and charming 16th century square.(Breakfast)
Italian Lakes at Leisure.
Relish a full day to relax and enjoy this popular resort and beautiful lake. Napoleon came here to plan his Italian Campaign, and Mussolini and Chamberlain met here before World War II to sign the Treaty of Stresa. Perhaps take a cruise out to the lovely Borromean Islands - Isola Bella is where Carlo Borromeo built his charming Palace. Savour delicious Farm-to-Table cuisine during your Celebration Dinner, accompanied with Italian wine and toast to your travels with your newfound friends.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Your journey draws to a close in the morning and transfers arrive at Milan's Malpensa Airport at 07:30 and 10:30.(Breakfast)
Veneto: Taste crisp and aromatic prosecco with the expert vignerons at a local winery and learn the secret to making the perfect Bellini.
Como: Choose your own ambience and cuisine from a handpicked selection of restaurants on your Dine-Around Evening.
Baveno: Your Celebration Dinner at a local restaurant is a true delight. Savour delicious Farm-to-Table meals, partnered with sumptuous Italian wines.
Dining Summary: 9 Breakfasts (B) and 4 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
Venice: Witness the ancient skill of glassblowing as you watch artisans create delicate works of art.
Top Rated Highlights
Milan: Explore Italy’s renowned fashion capital with your Local Expert. See the magnificent facade of Milan Cathedral, La Scala Theatre and the glass-vaulted shopping arcade of Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, lined with luxury boutiques.
Trento: See the pristine streets lined by stone castles during your an orientation of this unique, historical city.
Bolzano: Explore the streets and squares of this alpine town, with your Travel Director.
Cortina: Enjoy the stunning scenery of the Cortina, a small town framed by magnificent alps as your Travel Director conducts an orientation.
Venice: With your Travel Director cruise to St. Mark's Square and see the Doge's Palace, Bridge of Sighs and St. Mark's Basilica.
Venice: To the tune of accompanying musicians, delight in being serenaded through the atmospheric canals by gondola.
Sirmione: On Lake Garda, visit this quaint resort and see the 13th century Saligers' Castle.
Como: Take in the exquisite views of the lake and it's backdrop of the Rhaetian Alps as you enjoy an orientation of this magnificent town.
Baveno: During your orientation with your Travel Director see the cobbled streets and 16th century square.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 05 October 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..