Kakadu's Ancient Secrets
from $ 2,995* per person
Venture to Australia's Top End, through the untamed wilderness and wetlands of Kakadu - an ancient landscape of billabongs, gorges and hidden canyons teeming with spectacular wildlife.
Travel Dates: From 14/06/2020 to 08/10/2020
Duration: 5 days
Call 133 133 and
quote deal number 6876995
VISIT Litchfield, Kakadu and Nitmikuk National Parks, Mary River Wetlands, Wangi, Gunlom and Edith FallsVIEW native wildlife, Aboriginal rock art, rarrk painting, wonderful waterfallsSEE sunset on the Kakadu floodplainsSCENIC DRIVE on the Marrakai Track, through KakaduCRUISE on Corroboree Billabong and Katherine Gorge
4 breakfasts5 lunches4 dinners (Including Connect With Locals)Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeingDaily breakfast and an average of 50% of evening mealsLuxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)Cherry-picked hotels all tried and trustedHandcrafted HighlightsOptional Experiences and free timeAll porterage and local charges includedMust-see sightseeing and surprise extrasAn expert Travel Director and separate Driver, Driver Guide only on Mini-StaysAll hotel tips, charges and local taxesAirport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holidayVIP entry to many sights
Meet your Travel Director and board your luxury 4WD vehicle for an unforgettable journey of discovery, and 'Join Trafalgar' in helping to protect our wilderness through contributions to National Parks and Wildlife as part of your trip. Travel across the Finniss River to Litchfield National Park, where you'll have some time to cool off at the tumbling Florence Falls. Venture through tropical monsoon rainforest to Wangi Falls and hear about its importance in Aboriginal custom, before stopping for lunch. Now your exhilarating cross-country journey via the unsealed Marrakai Track (seasonally accessible) begins. You'll journey through cattle stations and back country to the Mary River region, arriving at Wildman Wilderness Lodge late-afternoon. You'll stay in private-permanent safari tents in the midst of the Mary River Wetlands. Enjoy a Welcome Reception as you watch the sun set over the floodplains and listen to the bush come to life. After dinner, crowd around the warm glow of the fire pit for a nightcap with your travel companions.
Wake up to the evocative sounds of the floodplains, then head out to Corroboree Billabong. Join a 'Local Specialist' in your safari-style boat to explore the Mary River floodplains, keeping a keen eye out for birds and estuarine crocodiles. Next stop is Australia's largest National Park and icon - UNESCO-listed Kakadu. Visit Bowali Visitor Centre, then check in to your hotel. Prime your adventure legs and 'Dive Into Culture' when you join your Travel Director for a sunset walk at Ubirr rock art site. See the centuries-old art depicting creation ancestors and animals from the area before heading to Nadab lookout at the top of Ubirr for spectacular views over the surrounding wetlands and mountains. An Ubirr sunset is something that must be seen to be believed. Savour every moment as dusk turns to night, then return to your hotel for dinner.
If you're an early riser, there's time to take an optional early morning scenic flight over Kakadu and Arnhem Land. Or enjoy a leisurely start to your day. Today's first official stop is Nourlangie, a site featuring rich Aboriginal rock art. 'Dive Into Culture' as your Travel Director shares a detailed interpretation of Aboriginal culture and art as you explore the various outdoor galleries featuring rock art that dates back 20,000 years. Later, we follow a gravel track on a scenic cross-country journey to Gunlom Falls. Hike to the top of the falls for a refreshing splash in the natural plunge pool and enjoy spectacular views over the national park. Take in the natural beauty of the area while you enjoy a picnic lunch, then continue through Katherine to Nitmiluk National Park where tonight you'll stay at a five-star luxury eco-lodge surrounded by nature. Stand on your private balcony and savour the uninterrupted views of Nitmiluk National Park right before you.
'Connect With Locals' and meet Manuel Pamkal, a master didgeridoo musician who will greet you with a traditional welcoming tune at a special 'Be My Guest' experience. Manuel will share with you stories of growing up in the bush and will teach you the fine art of rarrk painting using a special brush from a reed called Julk. Indulge the inner artist within you and paint your own masterpiece to take home. This evening, relax on a peaceful cruise along Katherine River. You'll marvel at the rusty-red gorges while you keep a keen eye out for wildlife and learn about the history and culture of the local Jawoyn people, the custodians of Nitmiluk National Park. Enjoy the peaceful ambiance during the candle-lit three-course Regional Dinner cooked on board your boat.
A leisurely start to the day could see you relax at the lodge or rise early to immerse yourself in the magic of dawn within the national park. Leave the wilderness behind and continue north along the Stuart Highway, stopping at Edith Falls along the way for a refreshing dip. Continue to Adelaide River War Cemetery, which was a significant military headquarters during WWII. Pay tribute to the brave soldiers who gave their lives in the service and defence of their country, then return to Darwin where your epic journey comes to an end (flights to depart after 8pm).
Terms and conditions
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 03 April 2020 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- Price is per person and subject to availability. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Local payments, "trip kittys" or food funds may apply and may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel agent prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Additional conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges and other applicable fees may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or Bpay.
- These prices are a guide to the best price. Prices are correct as at 29 March 2020 and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details.