Kakadu's Ancient Secrets
from $ 2,995* per person
Explore Kakadu, an ancient landscape of billabongs, gorges and hidden canyons teeming with spectacular wildlife. Admire rock art and hear stories of the Dreamtime. Embark on a journey to the haunt of the Lightning Man, Aboriginal clans and the crocodiles that roam Kakadu’s floodplains.
Travel Dates: From 14/06/2020 to 08/10/2020
Duration: 5 days
Company: AAT KINGS
Call 133 133 and
quote deal number 10337828
World Heritage listed Kakadu National ParkLitchfield National Park’s many wonderful waterfallsUncover the Mary River on a safari cruise ExploreClimb Nourlangie for spectacular views over Kakadu National ParkGet off road on the Marrakai 4WD track ImmerseDelve into WWII history at Adelaide River War CemeteryLearn about Aboriginal rock art at UbirrEnjoy an exclusive Aboriginal cultural experience RelaxWith a swim at Gunlom Falls overlooking KakaduStay in luxury accommodation at Cicada Lodge and Wildman Wilderness LodgeTake a refreshing dip at Wangi Falls
Hand-picked accommodationComplimentary refreshments throughout the journeyAirport Transfers (see flight information below)
Meet your Journey Director and board your bespoke 4WD vehicle to begin your journey of discovery in the Top End. Travel across the Finniss River to Litchfield National Park. You’ll enjoy a swim to cool off at tumbling Florence Falls and you’ll also visit Wangi Falls, surrounded by tropical monsoon rainforest, and hear about its importance in Aboriginal custom before stopping for lunch. Get ready for a cross-country journey via the unsealed Marrakai Track (seasonally accessible), through cattle stations and back country to the Mary River region. Late-afternoon you’ll arrive at Wildman Wilderness Lodge, where you’ll stay in private permanent safari tents surrounded by the sounds of the bush. Situated in the Mary River Wetlands and renowned for its incredible wildlife, the property seamlessly combines comfort and chic with the beauty of the surrounding landscape. Enjoy a beverage while the sun sets over the floodplains and after dinner maybe sit back with a nightcap by the fire pit. Please note: As this journey departs at 7.30am from Mantra on the Esplanade Darwin, accommodation will need to be pre-booked for the previous night.
Wake up to the evocative sounds of the floodplains.Head out to Corroboree Billabong and enjoy a wonderful wildlife cruise on a safari style boat to see a myriad of different bird species, spot estuarine crocodiles and simply enjoy the stunning Mary River floodplains. Next stop is Australia’s largest National Park – Kakadu. World Heritage and Ramsar listed, as both a cultural and natural sanctuary, Kakadu National Park is an Australian icon. Visit park headquarters, Bowali Visitor Centre then check in to your hotel. Relax and unwind with a refreshing dip in the hotel’s shaded outdoor pool or even wander through the on-site art gallery before you join your Journey Director on a sunset walk at Ubirr rock art site. You’ll see ancient rock art and take a walk to discover remarkable views over the surrounding wetlands and escarpments from the fantastic vantage point, Nadab lookout. An Ubirr sunset is something that has to be seen to be believed, you will remember it forever.
If you’re an early riser there’s a chance to take an optional experience scenic flight over Kakadu and Arnhem Land, or perhaps you might just want to sleep in before your day of activities. This morning you’ll visit Nourlangie to see its fascinating Aboriginal rock art. You’ll also hear first-hand from your Journey Director a detailed interpretation of the art and the rich Aboriginal culture as you explore the various outdoor ‘galleries’ with art that dates some 20,000 years. Later you’ll veer off the sealed road and onto a gravel track for a scenic cross-country journey to Gunlom Falls. You’ll have time to take a hike to the top of the falls for a splash in picturesque natural plunge pool, where you’re awarded with spectacular views over the National Park. Take in the natural beauty of the area while you enjoy a picnic lunch. This afternoon you continue to Nitmiluk National Park. Indulge in five-star comfort at Cicada Lodge, a stunning architect designed eco-lodge surrounded by nature, where each room has a private balcony that opens to the glories of Nitmiluk National Park.
Today meet Manuel Pamkal who will welcome you with a traditional performance of the didgeridoo. Manuel was born and raised immersed in his rich traditional Dalabon culture. He’ll share with you stories of growing up in the bush and teach you the fine art of rarrk (cross hatch) painting using a special brush from a reed called Julk. Call on the artist within you and paint your own masterpiece to take home! This evening, relax on a Local Dining Experience cruise along Katherine River. You’ll marvel at the gorges while you spot wildlife such as freshwater crocodile and barramundi, and learn about the history and culture of the local Jawoyn people. Enjoy the peaceful ambiance during the candle-lit three course dinner onboard your boat.
Enjoy a leisurely start to your day or get up early to experience the National Park completely immersed in the mystical morning light. Travel north along the Stuart Highway stopping at Edith Falls along the way for a relaxing dip. Continue to Adelaide River War Cemetery. During WWII, Adelaide River was the headquarters to a large military base and a cemetery was created especially for those who gave their lives in the service and defence of their country. Your Inspiring Journey concludes on arrival in Darwin.
Terms and conditions
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 07 April 2020 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- Price is per person and subject to availability. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Local payments, "trip kittys" or food funds may apply and may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel agent prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Additional conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges and other applicable fees may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or Bpay.
- These prices are a guide to the best price. Prices are correct as at 02 April 2020 and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details.