Bangkok to Kwai Adventure
from $ 739* per person
This whirlwind adventure will take you from bustling city to leafy jungle, and let you discover the cold structures created by modern warfare along the way. Get up close and experience the local charm of the floating market, journey up the River Kwai by longtail boat, sample locally-made sweets, see the action at a Muay Thai boxing gym, learn about the Death Railway and marvel at The Bridge on the River Kwai. Get ready to journey into the true heart of Thailand!
Travel Dates: From 01/01/2020 to 31/03/2020
Duration: 3 days
- Experience the local charm of a Thai floating market
Stay in a floating bungalow on the River Kwai
Explore the ancient temples of the Ayutthaya
Your local guides and Busabout crew
2 nights’ accommodation
2 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 1 dinner
Mae Klong railway market
Damnoen Saduak floating market
Hellfire Pass Memorial
River Kwai boat trip
Local enterprise visits
Muay Thai gym experience
Ayutthaya Archaeological Park tour
1 Your adventure begins in the sprawling capital of Bangkok! Meet with your fantastic Busabout guide early morning, and we’ll set off to the station to catch our first train. Lean back and enjoy the short but scenic journey along salt and rice paddies into the famous Mae Klong railway market. We’ll explore and check out one of the local enterprises that produces palm sugar from the sweet watery sap that drips from cut flower buds. Then it’s all aboard the long-tail boat for a ride into the Mae Klong River, passing palm trees and traditional style houses on the banks. We’ll disembark and transfer to the famous Damnoen Saduak floating market. During a visit to a local open-air Khao Lam producer, you will learn how this famous Thai sweet dish is made and satisfy your taste buds! Join us for lunch at Baan Bang Noi homestay, where you’ll be introduced to some of the essential herbs, spices and vegetables used in Thai cooking. Chow down on the tasty meal and get to know your new Busabout squad. After satisfying your hunger, you can explore the surrounding orchards on foot or by bicycle. This afternoon we’ll continue to the River Kwai and board a longtail boat to get to our floating jungle rafts. Arriving late afternoon, we’ll have some time to soak up the scenery before dinner. (L, D)
2 Enjoy some breakfast this morning at our floating river accommodation before our visit to the Hellfire Pass Memorial and museum. These were established by the Australian Government to remember those who died in the Second World War during the construction of the Death Railway and house a theatre and collection of data, photographs, and equipment used during this tragic time. Then it’s time to visit the infamous bridge on the River Kwai, built by forced labour during World War II, and Kanchanaburi War Cemetery. Take some time to grab lunch at a local restaurant, before we visit a local wooden drum making enterprise. Witness the process of selecting the wood and stretching leather, before the decorating begins. Late this afternoon we’ll check in to your hotel before continuing on to a local thai boxing gym, where you can see the local athletes practice. When our stomachs are growling, join us for dinner at a local restaurant and have a debrief over the days adventure. (B)
3 Early risers will have the chance to witness the offering of alms with local monks this morning! For those who didn’t make it out of bed in time, fill up on some breakfast before our visit to Ayutthaya Archaeological Park, where we will visit various ancient temples including Wat Phra Sri Sanphet - the prototype of the famous Grand Palace in Bangkok - and Wat Mahathat, to have a look at the famous Buddha Head inside the banyan tree. When we’ve worked up an appetite, we’ll make our way to a local restaurant and chow down on some of the tasty cuisine. We’ll depart from Ayutthaya early this afternoon, and hit the road. It’s time for our journey back to Bangkok where the tour will end. Say farewell to your new Busabout family. We’re sure you made some epic memories together! (B)
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 31 January 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details.