Machu Picchu Experience – Independent
from $ 1,503* per person
The true purpose behind Machu Picchu may always remain unsolved since the Inca had no written language and no historical records of the complex exist. Discover the theories and tales behind this incredible citadel on a five-day Peregrine Independent Experience in Peru. Not only will you enjoy a guided visit to Machu Picchu, you will also have time to explore charming Cusco and the lush Sacred Valley that surrounds. With all of the hassle of transfers and accommodation taken care of, your worries will stay focused on solving the mysteries of the fallen Inca Empire.
Travel Dates: From 01/10/2020 to 04/01/2022
Duration: 5 days
Call 133 133 and
quote deal number 3371994
- Explore the beautiful Spanish colonial architecture of Cusco and the hive of activity at the central San Pedro Markets
- With plenty of time exploring at your leisure, you’ll really get to know this city
Walk through the breathtaking hills of the Sacred Valley between Pisac and Ollantaytambo, visiting a local community for lunch
No trip to this region is complete without a guided visit to the iconic Machu Picchu
- Explore this Inca marvel with a local guide, learning of its engineering feats and intriguing history
Breakfasts Included: 5
Lunches Included: 1
Hotel (4 nights)
Group Size: 1 - 4
Cusco - Cathedral Entrance Fee
Cusco - Coricancha Temple entrance fee
Cusco - Full Boleto Turistico Pass (access to 16 archaeological sites, transport & guides not included)
Cusco - Orientation Walk
Machu Picchu - Entrance and guided tour
Sacred Valley - Community visit & lunch
Welcome to Cusco – once the capital of the ancient Inca Empire. Your trip starts today with an airport arrival transfer to your accommodation. A local guide will welcome you this evening at approximately 7 pm to brief you on your adventure. Cusco’s main sites radiate outwards from the Plaza de Armas, which is dominated by the 17th-century Baroque cathedral. This is a city steeped in history, tradition and legend and is a perfect base for explorations into the Inca world or to enjoy a range of outdoor activities. Take the time to acclimatise to the city's high altitude and explore the many Baroque churches and ancient temples that line the streets.
Head on a half-day walking tour with your local guide – you’ll work out a time to meet at your welcome meeting yesterday which suits you both. Today, you’ll pass multiple city sights, including Koricancha – once the richest temple in the Inca Empire, with the walls covered in some 700 solid-gold sheets. Continue to the city cathedral, which houses an impressive collection of art and an ornate neoclassical altar. Stroll down past the legendary Twelve Angled Stone towards the San Pedro Market, where you will find vegetables, meats, local cheeses, chocolates, herbal medicines and many artisanal crafts. As your walking tour will finish up around lunchtime, why not order a freshly squeezed juice, some fried pork or one of Cusco’s renowned chicken soups. Afterwards, spend the rest of the day discovering more of Cusco, perhaps visiting more sites included on your tourist pass, or simply strolling to find a traditional Peruvian restaurant for dinner.
3 Sacred Valley – Aguas Calientes
Today, you’re off to the Sacred Valley for a full day. Located between the towns of Pisac and Ollantaytambo, this valley is greatly treasured because of its climate, fertile land and the presence of the Urubamba (Sacred) River. During the tour, you will see evidence of the Inca’s engineering skills in the ruins of ancient aqueducts, irrigation canals, dams on the Urubamba River, imposing sets of terraces and centres of worship dedicated to Pachamama (Mother Earth), and the stone fortress of Sacsayhuaman. Join with a local community for lunch, and if it happens to be market day, wander the stalls and hunt down beautiful handmade beads and ponchos. Continue on to archaeological site of Ollantaytambo – one of the few places where the Incas defeated the Spanish. Here, view the site from its upper terraces to get some great views of the well-planned tow below. Afterwards, take a train to Aguas Calientes – the town at the base of Machu Picchu.
4 Machu Picchu – Cusco
Today is the day! Rise early for a 5.30 am bus along the winding road to Machu Picchu, which will take approximately 30 minutes. You will be joined by a local guide who will take you through the Inca ruins, a breathtaking sight at any time of the day. Built around 1450, the city was deserted less than a century later following the Spanish invasion and ‘lost’ for hundreds of years before it was rediscovered by Hiram Bingham in 1911. See the best of the citadel and learn more about the Inca Empire from your local guide, stopping for plenty of photo opportunities. Return to Cusco for the rest of the afternoon at leisure – after all of that wondrous sightseeing, why not celebrate with a pisco sour?
Your Independent Experience will come to an end today after breakfast. You will be transferred to the airport for your onward flight. Please ensure you advise of your flight details when booking your Machu Picchu Experience.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 11 July 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..