from $ 4,449* per person
Explore the wonders of Malta on this incredible tour – from the capital, Valletta, to the historically rich towns of Birgu and Mdina, and the villages of Gozo. Along the way you’ll see picturesque harbours and indulge in cheese and wine tastings, with plenty of time to visit the hidden coves and beaches of this charming archipelago.
Travel Dates: From 18/05/2021 to 12/10/2021
Duration: 8 days
Company: Back Roads Touring
Call 133 133 and
quote deal number 12944192
- Uncover the rich history and magnificent Baroque architecture of Valletta with a local guide
Enjoy a scenic cruise around the breathtaking Blue Grotto
Try your hand at making your own pizza at a traditional pizzeria in Valletta
DAY 1 St Julian’s
We’ll meet the group in the picturesque resort town of St Julian’s and get to know one another over a delicious welcome meal. Welcome to Malta! Accommodation: The Argento Hotel (or similar)
DAY 2 St Julian’s – Valletta – Birgu – St Julian’s
Our first day of exploration will begin with a locally guided walking tour of Valletta. We’ll stroll by the New Parliament Building, Upper Barrakka Gardens, Grand Harbour and Grandmaster’s Palace, uncovering the tiny capital’s rich history as we go. Then, we’ll enjoy free time to wander the stunning Baroque architecture of St John’s Co-Cathedral. For lunch, unleash your inner chef at a Maltese pizza-making class before sitting down to enjoy your creation. Continuing on, we’ll visit the oldest area in Malta: Birgu – commonly referred to as Città Vittoriosa (Victorious City). We’ll enjoy a walking tour through the city’s ancient narrow streets with a local guide – visiting the likes of the Inquisitor’s Palace and panoramic Gardjola Gardens. After a full day, enjoy an evening spent at your leisure back in St Julian’s. Accommodation: The Argento Hotel (or similar)
DAY 3 St Julian’s – Mosta – Mdina – St Julian’s
We’ll begin our third day together with a visit to the stunning Mosta Church, before we move on to the beautiful wilderness of the Buskett Gardens. Enjoy some free time wandering the only woodland area in Malta before we continue to the island’s old capital: Mdina, also known as the ‘silent city’. Here we’ll explore the extraordinary mix of medieval and Baroque architecture with a local guide and have some free time to enjoy lunch at our leisure. On this afternoon’s agenda: an indulgent wine tasting at a local winery. You’ll find it difficult to find a bottle of Maltese wine back home, so we recommend purchasing a bottle before we return to St Julian’s for an evening spent relaxing at our hotel or exploring the array of restaurants and waterfront bars. Accommodation: The Argento Hotel (or similar)
DAY 4 St Julian’s
Today is yours to spend entirely at your leisure. You may want to explore on a harbour cruise around the ports of Valletta – a natural treasure trove for photographers. Alternatively, you could spend the day enjoying the stunning views from our hotel’s rooftop terrace or relaxing by the swimming pool. This evening, we recommend venturing out in search of a waterfront alfresco restaurant for some delicious local seafood. Accommodation: The Argento Hotel (or similar)
DAY 5 St Julian’s – Qrendi – Cirkewwa – Xaghra
Today’s agenda begins with a stop at the Hagar Qim temples, where we’ll have the opportunity to explore this remarkable site with a local guide. Then, we’ll journey onwards the mesmerising Blue Grotto. Enjoy a locally guided boat trip around the phosphorescent coloured bays and complex of limestone caves – before continuing on to the ferry point at Cirkewwa, with a photo stop at Popeye’s Village along the way. After a short speedboat transfer to Gozo, we’ll round off a busy day with a visit to the Dreams of Horses Farm, where we’ll be guided around the equestrian therapy centre by a member of the team. In Xaghra, the evening will be ours to spend exploring at our own pace. Accommodation: The Cornucopia Hotel (or similar)
DAY 6 Xaghra – Victoria – Xaghra
Today we’ll visit the spectacular megalithic temple complex of Ggantija – the most ancient temples in Malta and boasting an ancient history that’s older than the pyramids of Egypt. After moving on to the imposing Old Citadel in Victoria – the ancient fortified city that can be seen from almost anywhere on Gozo, we’ll roll up our sleeves for a hands-on cheesemaking experience at a local restaurant and enjoy a delectable Maltese lunch. An evening of leisure time is in store for us back at the hotel – but not before we’ve stopped off for a photo or two at the peaceful village of Sannat. Accommodation: The Cornucopia Hotel (or similar)
DAY 7 Xaghra – San Lawrenz – Marsalforn – Xaghra
We may be nearing the end of our journey, but there’s still plenty to explore! First, we’ll stop to visit Fungus Rock – an islet off the coast of San Lawrenz that holds a peculiar history. After hearing the stories from our local guide, we’ll move on to the unusual Xwejni Salt Pans. A 350-year-old checkerboard of rock-cut salt pans, the production of sea salt here has been passed from generation to generation and is a fascinating sight to behold. Before returning to Xaghra, we’ll make a refreshing stop at Xwejni Bay for a dip in the crystal-clear water. Later, we’ll come together for one last dinner together, sharing stories of the week’s adventures. Accommodation: The Cornucopia Hotel (or similar)
DAY 8 Xaghra – St Julian’s
After a final breakfast and leisurely morning, we’ll catch the ferry back to St Julian’s – where our tour will end later this afternoon.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 19 August 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..