Spirit of Bali & Nusa Lembongan
from $ 1,535* per person
Why do I need an organised small-group tour through one of Asia’s most visited islands, you ask? Well, a nine-day real adventure of the sights, sounds and smells of traditional villages, untouched countryside, striking beaches and true Balinese cuisine isn’t easy to come by, but we’ve done all the hard work for you. Take part in a water purification ceremony, experience an authentic cooking class away from the crowds, learn the ancient art of Jamu and focus on wellness and relaxation with plenty of free time for you to explore at your own pace. You’ll be understanding why Bali is so highly regarded as a slice of paradise, but you’ll get to carve your own path past some of the serene highlights that it has to offer.
Travel Dates: From 17/10/2020 to 26/12/2021
Duration: 9 days
Call 133 133 and
quote deal number 6833925
- Learn about true Balinese cuisine at an in-depth cooking class, sourcing ingredients from local markets and the onsite farm, and preparing a range of delicious vegetarian dishes, with the option of catering for other dietary desires
Participate in water purification ceremony at the traditional Tirta Sudamala temple, in which your body and soul will be cleansed in this ancient ritual
Discover the quintessential but secluded landscapes of rice fields and terraces on a guided Campuhan Ridge and local village walk with a knowledgeable local leader
Understand the traditional medicinal properties and health benefits of the Javanese Jamu drink, sourcing the local ingredients and preparing some yourself
Take a day trip out to the outlying Nusa Penida off the east coast of Bali and realise why this island is acclaimed for its panoramic vistas, stunning beaches and sapphire waters
Breakfasts Included: 8
Lunches Included: 1
Resort (6 nights),Hotel (2 nights)
Age: min 15
Group Size: 1 - 12
Ubud - Campuhan Ridge & Village walk
Ubud - Balinese Organic Farm Cooking Class
Undisan - Meditation class
Undisan - Jamu (herbal drink) class
Undisan - Purification at Tirta Sudamala Temple
Nusa Lembongan - Yoga Class
Nusa Penida - Angel Bilabong
Nusa Penida - Broken beach
Nusa Penida - Kelingking Cliff
Nusa Penida - Crystal bay
Welcome to the arts and cultural hub of Bali. You are in store for a trip dedicated to wellness, rest and relaxation, and what better place to begin than the verdant highlands of Ubud. This evening, there will be a group meeting at 6 pm to discuss the details of the trip, as well as to meet your leader and travel group. If you do happen to arrive early, good for you! There is so much to see in and around this bustling town, so perhaps wander through the laneways in search for some artisan clothing or souvenirs, book yourself in for a relaxing spa treatment or go in search for the quintessential landscapes of rice terraces. After your important meeting, why not get your group together and find some delicious food at one of the warungs (local restaurants) in town – your group leader will have some great recommendations.
Start the day with a guided walking tour (about 2.5 hours). Gain an insight into daily village life as you pass lush rice fields, an alang alang valley (type of wild grass used to make the roof of traditional buildings) and stop by a Balinese home for some coffee. Your tour ends in central Ubud, where you can see the many cafes, galleries and shops on your own. In the afternoon, you’ll have time to explore, so how about visiting the Saraswati Temple & Lotus Garden, or try a yoga class? It’s up to you. Ubud has been recognised as a town focused on health and wellness, and this extends to their food offerings. With so much to choose from, including a lot of vegetarian and vegan options, you won’t go hungry.
3 Ubud - Undisan
Say goodbye to Ubud early this morning and continue through the Balinese countryside. You’ll pay a visit to a local market outside of Ubud, where your local guide will teach you about different roots, fruits and vegetables, like mangosteen and salak (snake fruit). There may even be the chance to taste some local sweets! Continue on to the Pemulan Bali Farm – a cooking school set inside a lush green farm. Here, you’ll take a walk around, learning about the tropical plants, fruits and herbs grown on the property, how to harvest and care for them, and what their uses are for cooking and also in traditional medicines. Once you’ve gathered enough produce to cook with and enjoyed a Balinese coffee or tea, head back to the cooking station and prepare a series of vegetarian dishes, including some Balinese curries, gado gado and vegetables wrapped in banana leaf. There is also the option to prepare some meat-based dishes, if you would like. A main focus on the cooking class today is making a Base Gede – a traditional Balinese spice paste that is used in many local dishes. Today will be consist of cooking, eating, more cooking, then more eating – all to make sure that none of your delicious creations go cold! After your class continue on to Undisan village (approximately 2 hours), where you’ll have some free time to explore on your own or simply laze by the pool.
Start your morning right with a one-hour meditation class and healthy breakfast, before learning about the traditional drink of jamu. Jamu is a type of herbal drink originating on the Indonesian island of Java known for its medicinal properties, and uses many roots and spices, like turmeric, to cleanse the body and mind. You’ll pick up ingredients in the local vegetable gardens and learn about the health benefits of these small digestives. In the afternoon, head to the Tirta Sudamala temple, where you have the option to partake in a traditional purification ceremony. This involves putting your head under a series of fountains in and near the river. A local guide will explain to you the customs of this ceremony, plus a little bit about Balinese Hinduism and the importance of these rituals. Please be mindful that you will need to wear a sarong in the temple grounds and wear appropriate bathing attire should you choose to participate. Later on, head back to your resort in Undisan for some well-deserved relax time.
Today, drive from Undisan to Sanur (approximately 1 hour). Sanur is a popular holiday spot in Bali on the east coast and has a laidback coastal vibe. You’ll have the afternoon to explore the surrounding area, or if you’d like, just pull up a towel on part of the sandy beach and take it easy. You are on holidays, after all. Tonight, there’s the option to visit a healthy beachfront restaurant with the group to watch day turn to night overlooking the Bali Sea.
6 Nusa Lembongan
Take private transport from your hotel to the Sanur port, then board a boat to Nusa Lembongan island (a 30-minute journey). You’ll then head directly to your hotel to drop off your bags. This afternoon, salute to the sun on an included yoga class within walking distance of your accommodation. You may like to keep the relaxation going by booking in an afternoon massage – at such a reasonable price in Indonesia, you’d be missing out not to have at least one!
7 Nusa Penida - Nusa Lembongan
Today, make tracks for Nusa Penida, the larger of the three islands off the east coast of Bali, and perhaps the most stunning. You’ll take a bemo (local minivan) from your hotel to the Yellow Bridge. This bridge is the only way the two islands of Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Cenigan are connected, and you can only make it across by walking. From here, take a 30-minute boat ride to Nusa Penida. Your group will hop in a minivan and explore the island, going from the crystal-clear waters of Angel Billabong, the rock formations of Broken Beach and up to the stunning overlook of Kelingking Cliff – if you’re an anybody on Instagram at the moment you would’ve seen this vista all over your feed, and there’s a reason for that. Continue on to Crystal Bay, and once you’re day-tripped out, head back to your resort for a swim, and maybe a cocktail if you fancy!
Have a relaxing morning in this slice of paradise, and in the afternoon, take a boat back to the Bali mainland. Transfer to a minivan and head to the other side of the island, where you’ll check in to your boutique hotel in Canggu. Canggu is a popular surf spot and has a heap of beachfront cafés and bars, with some great nightlife. Why not tonight take a walk down the beach and stake out a place to grab a beer and watch the chill day surf spot turn into a heaving hub of activity. After such a calm and relaxed trip, there’s certainly a reason to let loose!
With no activities planned for today, you are free to leave the accommodation at any time after breakfast. That doesn’t mean your adventure has to end! We highly recommend spending an extra couple of days in and around Canggu, and if you would like to spend more time here, we’ll be happy to organise additional accommodation (subject to availability). While here, why not book in for a surf class or hire a board to catch some waves or continue the zen mentality with some yoga and a Balinese massage.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 08 June 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..