Ecuador: Amazon Jungle Experience - Independent
from $ 2,265* per person
This exceptional jungle experience takes you into the very heart of Ecuador’s Amazon Basin. The remote, pristine setting of Sacha Lodge is a haven for nature lovers, birdwatchers, scientists and adventure seekers. The lodge provides quality accommodation, first class meals and expert guides in order for you to fully enjoy the wonders of the tropical rainforest. There is a wide range of activities to pick from including jungle walks, dugout canoe safaris and canopy walks, while a real highlight is the camouflaged, 43-metre high observation tower. This is the Amazon at its very best!
Travel Dates: From 13/12/2019 to 03/01/2022
Duration: 4 days
Call 133 133 and
quote deal number 3921708
- This trip takes you to the heart of Ecuador's Amazon Basin
- Set in the remote rainforest, Sacha Lodge is a haven for nature lovers, birdwatchers, scientists and adventure seekers
Caiman, otters, sloths, hoatzin, monkeys, capybaras, anacondas
- the Amazon is home to some of the most diverse wildlife on Earth
As well as comfortable accommodation and luxurious meals, your expert guides will enhance your experience with their unique knowledge of the Amazon
Explore the rainforest on various jungle treks, canopy walks and dugout canoe safaris, or relax in a hammock at the lodge
- It's up to you to customise how active you'd like this trip to be
Breakfasts Included: 3
Lunches Included: 3
Dinners Included: 3
Jungle Lodge (3 nts)
Group Size: 1 - 4
Amazon Jungle activities as mentioned in the trip notes
1 Quito/Amazon Jungle Lodge
Welcome to Quito, Ecuador. The joining point for this trip is the Quito hotel of your choice. Please ensure you give your booking agent the details of your hotel at least 15 days prior to this trip's starting date. Alternatively, we can also assist you to book additional accommodation in Quito if needed. The evening before this trip starts, you'll be met at your hotel by your Peregrine representative by 6 pm. Your Peregrine representative will provide you with vouchers and extra information that you'll need for the next four days. If you arrive after 6 pm, this information will be left in an envelope at the hotel's front desk. If you have any questions in this regard, please contact the emergency number provided in the Essential Trip Information. At 7 am on Day 1, you'll be met by your transfer driver in the lobby of your hotel, who will then drive you to the airport. The flight over the Andes to the river port town of Puerto Francisco de Orellana (Coca) will take approximately 45 minutes. From here, a local guide will meet you and transfer you to the town docks, where a covered, motorised canoe will take you on a two-hour journey down the Napo River to the Sacha Lodge (or Napo Lodge – refer to 'Other Information' for more details). Upon arrival, walk along a raised boardwalk for around 30 minutes through dense forest to Pilchicocha Lake, where dugout canoes await to take you to the lodge - arriving in the afternoon at around 4 pm. There's time this afternoon to take a walk, a swim or to explore the surrounding jungle and its wildlife. After dinner tonight you may want to accompany your naturalist guide into the jungle for a night walk or perhaps a canoe ride on the lake (great for spotting the glowing eyes of caiman).
2 Amazon Jungle Lodge
Rise early this morning and begin activity between 6 and 7 am. Take the walking trail of Liana Chica (approximately 30 minutes) and arrive at the canopy walk for spectacular views of the rainforest canopy and various species of exotic birds. Designed to be a self-standing, rigid suspension canopy walk, it's one of only a few in the world. Two of the three towers have observation decks every 12 metres, making towers accessible for everyone. The canopy walkway is set at 36 metres high and 275 metres long, giving guests a panoramic view of the rainforest. After the canopy walk, hike through terra firma and igapo forest habitats where native guides will explain many different species of medicinal plants that have been being used in their culture for hundreds of years. Liana Grande will turn into the trail Higueron, which will take you through primary forest with huge Kapok and Fig trees towering hundreds of feet above your head. After lunch, you may choose to take a leisurely hike along the Rio Napo, or choose a little more challenging hike on the trail Leoncillo to try and spot the elusive dusky titi monkey. Either way, the trails will lead you back to the main boardwalk for your final hike and canoe ride back to the lodge.
3 Amazon Jungle Lodge
Leaving the lodge after breakfast, begin your hike on trail Lagartococha. This trail offers you the chance to learn more about the native people and their relationship with the forest. Learn about the trees where native people believe the spirits of their ancestors live, and the mysterious dwende (devil-man) of the forest. After arriving at lake Lagartococha, take a tranquil canoe ride through a natural swamp, which home to anacondas, caiman and capybaras. After the canoe ride, a walk on the other side of Largatococha may give you the opportunity to spot capuchin or squirrel monkeys. Return from the walk or canoe ride and head back to the lodge for a refreshing dip in the lake, or a nice relaxing nap in your personal hammock on your private balcony. After lunch, your native guide will teach you how to fish for the infamous razor-toothed piranha. Keep in mind that piranhas will never attack a person and swimming at the same time is perfectly safe. In the afternoon you will begin what many think is the best trail at Sacha, a silent canoe ride through the flooded Amazonian forest. Keep your eyes peeled for the shy and elusive river otter, as well as the camouflaged three-toed sloth. After your ride through the flooded forest, arrive at Sacha´s 135-foot wooden tower that's built around an ancient Kapok tree. Spot wildlife and watch the sunset, with an amazing view of Mount Sumaco. A canoe ride back through the flooded forest at night is unforgettable. Watch for several species of bats flying over your heads and caiman in the water below.
Today you'll be transferred by boat back to Coca for your flight to Quito, where your trip ends upon arrival at Quito Airport. Flights usually arrive back in Quito at around 1 pm, but there's always the likelihood of your flight being delayed. This being the case, you may wish to book an additional night's accommodation in Quito and also a transfer from airport to hotel at an additional cost. These should be booked at the same time you book your trip. If you're planning to depart Quito today, we advise you not to book a departure flight until at least 4 pm.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 17 December 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..