Bolivian Amazon Jungle
from $ 1,395* per person
From the brightly coloured busy streets of La Paz to lush canopies of Madidi, indulge in equal parts activity and relaxation on this exciting five-day jungle adventure, deep within the Amazon. Take a motorboat up the Tuichi River, hike along the Tareche Trail, observe exotic birdlife, howler monkeys and peccaries on the Biwa Trail, or arm yourself with a torch and explore the jungle at night with a local guide. Learn about the jungle’s many medicinal plants, fish for piranha and chill out with a cool drink in your hammock.
Travel Dates: From 12/12/2019 to 04/01/2022
Duration: 5 days
Call 133 133 and
quote deal number 3881533
- The exotic wildlife of the Amazon is unparalleled anywhere else in the world
- Encounter white-lipped peccary, black spider monkeys or green and red macaws on guided walking tours and learn about the rainforest’s delicate ecosystems
Boat down the Beni and Tuchi rivers, passing through the breathtaking Bala Canyon
Night walks provide the chance to see illusive wildlife that only come out when the sun goes down
Witness animals bathe in mud and gather around naturally formed salt licks
Fish for catfish and float down the calm waters and occasional rapids of the Tuichi River in an inner tube
Breakfasts Included: 4
Lunches Included: 4
Dinners Included: 3
Hotel (1 nt),Jungle Lodge (3 nts)
Age: min 5
Group Size: 1 - 12
Madidi National Park - Entrance fee
Madidi National Park - Wabu trail jungle walk
1 La Paz
On arrival to La Paz, head to the hotel. A group meeting will take place at 6 pm with an Intrepid representative. Please look for a note in the hotel lobby or ask reception where it will take place. If you're going to be late, please inform the hotel reception. We'll be collecting your insurance details and next of kin information at this meeting, so please ensure you have all these details to provide to your leader. If you arrive early, perhaps head to the centre of the city to the Plaza Murillo. As the huge cathedral of the Iglesia de San Francisco and the Presidential Palace overlook the square, it’s a great spot to relax and grab something to eat. Note: If you can't arrange a flight that will arrive in time, you may wish to arrive a day early so you're able to attend. We'll be happy to book additional accommodation for you (subject to availability).
2 La Paz / Rurrenabaque / Madidi National Park
In the morning, take a short flight to the small town of Rurrenabaque (approximately 45 minutes). From here a motor-boat will take you up the river to Madidi. The three-hour trip offers a great opportunity to enjoy the flora, fauna and landscapes of the region, especially as you pass through Bala Canyon. Stop over in Caquiahuara to observe the nesting wall of red and green macaws, before continuing to the Madidi Jungle Eco Lodge. The group will stay here for the next few days in traditional cabins with private bathrooms. After lunch, we set out for a 3 hour walk along the Wabu Trail, where you will visit a salt lick locally known as 'Cullpana' Along he trail you will also have the opportunity to see white-lipped peccary, red howler monkeys, brown capuchin monkeys, toucan, guans, and many different birds. Late we return to the Ecolodge along the Tuichi Trail. Tonight, enjoy dinner at the lodge with group, with the chance to go on a short night walk afterwards. Notes: Bird watching can be done at any time of the year, however it’s more frequent from May to December.
3 Madidi National Park
Enjoy breakfast at the lodge this morning, before a four-hour guided walk along the Mapajo Trail through the giant trees of the Amazon. Your local guide will teach you about the ecosystems of the unspoiled rainforest around you. Along these trails, you’ll appreciate the Giant Kapok Tree, Almendrillo Tree and the Strangler Fig Tree. Your guide will give an in-depth explanation of the diverse species of plants used for medicinal purposes and ancestral benefits. It is a great opportunity to understand and learn about the Amazon ecosystems while observing the pristine environment and different species of wildlife. Head back to the lodge for lunch and enjoy a few free hours to relax. In the afternoon we will take a short boat trip upstream along river Tuichi to the Serere Trail for a short hike beside the riverside jungle to a floodplain. Here you will have a chance to see yellow squirrel monkeys and Hoatzin birds, the most ancient bird species in South America (related to the dinosaur). We will stop at the Piraña lagoon to fish for piranhas. After this (optional) activity you will continue the hike reaching a recently discovered salt lick. Return to the river and travel back to the ecolodge by boat. After dinner at the lodge this evening, take a night walk into the rainforest to see nocturnal wildlife. During this walk, the native guide will explain more about animal behaviour such as tapir and red deer.
4 Madidi National Park
After breakfast, take a four to five hour guided walk along the Mapajo and Pavacullpana Trails, considered the longest hike. This route is a great opportunity to observe tapir, white lipped peccary, brown capuchin monkey, red howler monkey, black spider monkey, saddleback tamarin monkey, guans and toucans. During the itinerary you will stop at a platform to observe the largest salt lick in the area, locally called “Cullpana” where animals gather to take in minerals. Return back on a short hike before taking the boat back to the Eco Lodge. We enjoy some lunch back at the lodge, after we have some free time. Perhaps grab a book and head to the hammocks. In the afternoon, you can choose between two options available. The first is learning how to make traditional handicrafts, such as rings, necklaces, bracelets and earrings. Assisted by your guide, and using seeds from the rainforest, you can spend time creating your own jungle souvenir. Alternatively, you can go on a short walk along the Dati Trail and Almendrillo Trail to a salt lick frequently visited by Red Howler Monkeys. You will return on the Mapajo Trail and have time to relax before dinner. For dinner tonight, you will sample the local dish “Dunucuabi” (catfish wrapped in leaves). After eating, guides can optionally chat to you about their ancestral history and explain more about the local Uchupiamonas and Tacana cultures.
5 Madidi National Park / Rurrenabaque / La Paz
We enjoy breakfast at the ecolodge. Soon after we head out on a short boat trip upstream along the River Tuichi, followed by a short hike near the stream. You will learn about the secondary forest and the characteristics of the floodplain. Back on the river, you will have the option to try Tubing, an exciting ride in rubber inner tubes along the fast-paced rapids and calmer waters of the river. We provide life jackets for your safety. Tubing is an optional activity that can be substituted for a return boat trip to the ecolodge. Tubing is dependant on weather and river conditions. We head back to the lodge for Lunch. When lunch is over you will have some free time before returning to Rurrenabaque. On the way back to Rurrenabaque you will optionally visit Caquiahuara where you will have the chance to observe the ed and green macaws and other species of parrot. Birdwatching can be done anytime of year, however, it is more frequent from May to December. The trip is a great opportunity to see exotic species such as the capybaras, tapirs, turtles or caimans. The return boat trip takes only 2 hours. Arrival in Rurrenabaque in the later afternoon. Transfer to your hotel or airport. From Rurrenabaque, take you'll take a flight back to La Paz airport where your trip ends. Please let your agent know if you wish to book additional accommodation or a transfer. After your travels, we want to hear from you! We rely on your feedback. We read it carefully. Feedback helps us understand what we are doing well and what we could be doing better. It allows us to make improvements for future travellers. Leave your feedback here - www.intrepidtravel.com/feedback
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 16 December 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..